Shift based, average 40 hours per week (core working hours will be 07.00 to 19.00 Monday to Friday)
Shefford, Bedfordshire, SG17
The 3rd Line team are responsible for ensuring the availability and smooth running of our clients’ IT operations, consisting of end user workstations, servers, hosted applications, LAN/WAN infrastructure and telephony. The 3rd Line team’s primary role is to ensure that customer platforms are operating smoothly and pro-actively monitored to ensure issues are detected before the customer is impacted where possible. The 3rd Line team are a point of escalation for the 2nd Line team and should resolve issues that lower tiers cannot in a prompt and professional manner.
- Proactive monitoring of hosted systems and networks using industry standard monitoring technologies to ensure hardware, services and hosted applications are available and responsive.
- Responding to alerts generated by monitoring, system generated alerts, etc.
- Act as a technical escalation point for the 1st and 2nd line teams.
- Monitoring the success and efficacy of backups and resolving related issues.
- Proactively managing anti-virus software and security patches in line with policy to ensure our clients are appropriately protected against security vulnerabilities.
- Follow pre-defined processes and procedures for operational activities.
- Escalate and liaise with Hardware & Professional Services teams where appropriate.
- Provide office-based support to an on-site implementation team to assist with the adoption of new clients and services.
- Provide cover for support calls during shifts that occur outside of the normal Centrality Service Desk support.
The candidate will be involved in a wide array of technologies and applications including:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 – 2019 and Windows 7-10 operating systems
- Microsoft Azure, Hyper V and VMWare
- Microsoft Exchange / Office 365
- Wide Area Networks (WANs), VPLS, Site-to-Site VPNs
- Network equipment
The candidate will require excellent inter-personal skills, as there will be the need to speak to client VIPs during major incidents on occasion.
Skills and Experience
- Education qualifications required: GCSE Maths and English at grade C or higher
- Professional Qualifications required: None
- Professional Qualifications desired: Microsoft MCDST, MCP or higher in relevant areas. ITIL Service Desk & Incident Management, Basic Juniper JUNOS networking qualification (or Cisco equivalent).
Experience & Knowledge
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting and analysis skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail, methodical and organised approach.
- Ability to follow and contribute to standard operating procedures and documentation.
- A knowledge of network topology, components and systems monitoring
- Remote administration of workstations, servers, routers, network switches
- Ability to sensibly escalate calls to third parties and to inform clients of major incidents where necessary
- Knowledge of both server and client operating systems
Rated Good or Better
- Ability to prioritise tasks and handle Major Incidents
- Experience of Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Experience of McAfee e-Policy Orchestrator, or other well-known centralised AV management software (Sophos, ESET, etc.)
- Knowledge of the concepts of monitoring servers, LAN/WAN networks, client computers
- Experience or understanding of concepts in centralised management of computers and other equipment over a corporate network.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new products procedures as they appear, as driven by client requirements, but full training will be given where necessary.
- Experience of Microsoft System Centre Data Protection Manager Server.
- Experience using a software deployment and systems management platform.
- Administration of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (or other Linux distribution).
A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a 3rd line or senior 2nd line technical support role is considered essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for all levels of user up to and including director level.
- A strong, amiable and flexible team-player.
- User-focussed, empathetic and when appropriate, firm, approach
- Good attention to detail
- Good problem solving skills and evidence of strategic approaches to fault diagnosis
- Valid driving license
- Own means of transport